Saturday, December 20, 2008

Back on the (Wet) Ground


I'm back in my old room at the hospital's guest house, and it's pouring rain. I arrived just in time for the last Home-Based Care course - 21 new, volunteer CHWs were reviewing referral procedures, patient rights, the contents of their drug kits, etc. The group, seen above, is copying acronyms into their notebooks. Here's a snapshot of what they're writing:




At the end of the session, the CHWs were asked to turn in a piece of paper describing the location of their home. Most of their responses were paragraphs long - some included extensive maps.


Joanna, who is running PointCare's CD4-count outreach program, relayed an interesting conversation with one of the CHWs a week ago. She traveled to their farthest site - a good 100 mile drive - and ran into Zakeyo, who said, "You know, Josh is coming on the 19th." I checked FrontlineSMS, and Alex hadn't warned him. It's exciting to know that the next time I see him, I'll pass along a solar panel accompanied by a solar-powered light.


Tomorrow, I'm going to spend some quality time with FrontlineSMS - working through the communication over the last four months.


Please comment freely, or shoot me an e-mail, with any questions. I have just two weeks before I return to Stanford, and I'm trying to make the most of it! As always, thanks for reading.

No comments: